In 2007 when mafia boss Salvatore Lo Piccolo was arrested they found the Mafia's equivalent of the ten commandments in his house! Here they are.
- No one can present himself directly to another of our friends. There must be a third person to do it.
- Never look at the wives of friends.
- Never be seen with cops.
- Don't go to pubs and clubs.
- Always be available for Cosa Nostra, even if your wife's about to give birth.
- Appointments must be respected.
- Wives must be treated with respect.
- When asked for any information, the answer must be the truth.
- Money cannot be appropriated if it belongs to others or to other families.
- People who can't be part of Cosa Nostra are anyone with a close relative in the police, with a two-timing relative in the family, anyone who behaves badly and doesn't hold to moral values.
Why were these ten commandments written down? The answer would appear to be that Sicilian mafiosi (the more conservative wing) were very worried that American Mafiosi (the more liberal wing) were getting too flash and corrupted by Hollywood consumerism. In other words the yanks were breaking the sacred code of the Sicilian code of conduct!