Recent comments

Georgina Bartlett on Everlasting Father (Tuesday 3rd December 2019 9:45am)

I agree Richard! I love the 1 Corinthians 15:45 passage you alluded to that says 'When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." (NIV) I think what I meant by 'heavenly home' is the home God has prepared for us to dwell with him - which will be our new earth, where things don't fall apart or fade (or change for the worse!)

Richard Gunton on Everlasting Father (Tuesday 3rd December 2019 8:25am)

Sorry - my comment got poster prematurely... I meant to end:

And I wonder if such confusion might occasionally (say, once a year!) help us in our struggle against the flesh, while waiting for our perishable bodies to be clothed with what is imperishable, when death will be swallowed up in victory?

Richard Gunton on Everlasting Father (Monday 2nd December 2019 5:31pm)

Thanks, Georgina, for this inspiring piece.  I too love this section of Handel's Messiah - but I think I hear it in a slightly different way from you.  For me there's something final about the Incarnation that makes the Christmas story especially wonderful.  I love the way that Handel's libretto matches up Hebrew prophecies of the Messiah, via the Nativity story itself, with New Testament prophecies like "The trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed."  As a child I used to believe there was a heavenly home for God's people, but I thin

Richard Gunton on Intellectual servanthood (Thursday 14th November 2019 5:30pm)

Thanks, Mark, for this encouragement to think in terms of service instead of just achievement and accolades.

Dave Hopwood on Young People Serving the Technology god (Thursday 7th November 2019 1:01pm)

Thanks Mark, helpful insights. I guess that no matter how wonderful the technology, we humans are all as flawed and fragile and broken as we ever were, needing help, hope and healing. I guess that the way Twitter has sometimes been used negatively shows that the technology may be useful, but not when we hurt each other with it.

Dave Hopwood on How to evangelise with Mafia boss Toto Riina to help you (Thursday 10th October 2019 5:24pm)

Wow! A shocking tale Mark, and yet your post shows us that all kinds of things can help us weigh up truth and love. Thanks for continuing to challenge and push the envelope regarding ways of communicating our faith and hope.

Alicia Smith on Pedagogues or parents? (Tuesday 10th September 2019 4:46pm)

This is timely and challenging - thanks Mark! The question it provoked in my mind is how aspects of this might be gendered. I think you're right to emphasise the parental meaning of Paul's metaphor over the specifically paternal, but does this get more complex when applied to actual male and female teachers, and male and female students? On one level gender differences probably make the line of what is appropriate in teacher/student interactions a bit more pressing to discern.

Steve Bishop on From food to Jesus (Friday 30th August 2019 2:08pm)

Nice one - looking forward to seeing the book!

Tim Keene on Queen Victoria and the Occult (Tuesday 16th July 2019 1:32pm)

Kipling's poem "Endor" is a chilling poem indeed

Ruth Hanson on Practising gentleness in academia? (Tuesday 9th July 2019 6:35pm)

Thanks so much, Alicia. This was really soothing and encouraging for me, as I had some rough moments in my research jobs long ago, which were partly due to gentle-feeling blunders on my part but not dealt with gently by non-christian seniors!